Hi there! My name is Conrad O’Connell, the founder of BuildUp Bookings located in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We’re super excited that you’re here because we’d like to work with you! Choosing a marketing partner is tough: we know that first hand. We thought we’d peel back the curtain a bit on BuildUp Bookings and give you our mission, guiding principles and company philosophy.
While we can’t say for sure that we will be a perfect fit, we can be sure that we are looking for win-win arrangements between us. This means you’re getting an incredible ROI from the money you spend with us and we’re doing great work for you.
BuildUp Bookings gets your travel brand noticed in the marketing channels that work best.
- BuildUp Bookings works with a single client in each destination on an ongoing basis. For too long, agencies have toed the line of acceptable client behavior by working with two clients in the same destination… on the same tactics. Nonsense! When we create a relationship with you, it’s just us working together. Consider our monthly invoice a de-facto ‘non compete’.
- BuildUp Bookings relies on data, not internal bias to shape strategy and deliver tactical work that gets results. While sharing strategies that work well across other areas can be tested, we’re not married to just one result. The team will test and adjust everything based on your data to make the best informed choices.
- BuildUp Bookings is proactive to new marketing channels. While we can all sometimes be too eager to test a big idea (Google Plus anyone?), we know that being a first-mover in your area to a brand-new marketing channel can make a huge difference. Emerging social networks, advertising platforms and strategies are tested every day.
- BuildUp Bookings plans marketing campaigns (but leaves room for improvisation). How can we work together if we don’t know the blueprint for where we’re going? Not to worry — marketing plans come together easily with our team, but we’ll adjust as needed.
- BuildUp Bookings makes business sense – earning a ROI (saving time + earning a profit) with our clients investment is key. After you get in touch with our team, we’ll make sure that the marketing supports the investment. While we’re not your biggest expense, we want to be your most well-placed dollars.
- BuildUp Bookings is well-rounded about the travel & accommodations business. Industry knowledge goes hand in hand with impactful marketing. The team stays in vacation rentals and travels frequently – we take that personal knowledge seriously to make everything we do just work better.
- BuildUp Bookings doesn’t force clients to long term commitments – we earn it every month. We want to work with clients who want a marketing team that is there for the long term, but we don’t think that’s by forced legalese.
- BuildUp Bookings works with clients that excel at their craft – not always the biggest, but the best that each destination has to offer. You don’t have to manage 500 properties or big a top 5 city for us to work together, but we aim to work with firms that are dedicated to the guest experience. Marketing can’t save a bad experience – no matter the amount of money spent!
- BuildUp Bookings is accessible – chat/text, call and email access when you need it.
- BuildUp Bookings aims for consistent growth. 500% improvements are rarely repeatable. It sounds good to see mind-bending growth in a single case study, but the strategies we deploy improve your bookings over time in a predicable fashion.
What does a good marketing consultant look like?
It’s a question we’ve thought a lot about over the past five years. While we don’t know the answer to every question we come across in our work, we feel pretty confident we’ve got this one down. For us, we think these traits are needed for success with any marketing engagement. These four traits work no matter what may lay in our future: they’re the bedrock of any successful digital marketing consultant. Tactics come and go — platforms will change, but these will remain steady:
Curiosity — Put simply: the work has to interest you! If your marketing partner has people working on your account and it’s ‘just their job’, we feel they will fail you over the long term. If we were reset to zero clients tomorrow, we’d start over focusing on building the exact business we have today. We really do enjoy discovering new digital marketing tactics and applying them to help websites grow, businesses bloom and bookings rise.
Adaptation — We could link to the study that Google changes their algorithm 500 times a year, but you probably know that already! It’s rather simple: digital marketing tactics often have a very short shelf-life. A specific tool or tactic that works today may not in a quarter or two. Let’s focus on what works today and let’s adapt when it stops working. We’re not romantic about any digital marketing channel like paid search or Facebook — we’re romantic about driving results. This comes from constantly changing what we’re working to make sure you’re seeing a ROI and we’re on the leading edge of where guests are actually converting.
Observation — You can’t succeed if you don’t always educate yourself. We’re always learning from marketing professionals at large agencies, in-house teams on top websites in the world and our own personal websites. We work hard every day to be as up date as humanly possible on what’s working today, which businesses are growing and which are shrinking. Founder Conrad O’Connell broke news stories on this very website around Flipkey’s SEO issues and been a source of Google design SERP updates to popular marketing blogs like Search Engine Land and The SEM Post. We’re pretty much obsessed with keeping my eye on marketers and strategies that are working.
Action — None of the above matters if you can’t put your strategies to the test and take action. We pride ourselves on always testing and trying new ideas in real-world websites, our own marketing and clients who want to try out new strategies. It’s better for us to try successful ideas, observe what works and launch new campaigns than analyze and pontificate on what may work. Action wins, every single time. Marketers that pontificate and ponder what may or may not work are most commonly losers over the long term.
Should we work together?
Our rule of thumb for digital marketing clients is very simple – we only take win-win clients.
This means that we are providing more value than we’re charging you, and that you’re using my time well to reach your marketing goals effectively. The way that we’re both successful is by creating these relationships where we both win.
We’re looking for clients that have a story to tell. Ones that work hard. Clients that aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty and work on something themselves (or get us everything we need to execute for them). Ones that take risks, but aren’t wasteful or foolish. People who push themselves and their employees to be better.
It’d be a pleasure to meet with you (virtually at least) and talk about how we can help your business. Get in touch to start reaching your marketing goals today.